Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Welcome

Welcome to Émere! My name is Kim, and within the next few months I will be releasing my book Elf Tears. Here you will learn random tidbits about the world it takes place in, including facts about creatures, magic, and possibly background to the plot. With any luck, I will also eventually post a teaser trailer for the book. Today I would like to introduce you to one of the first creatures I invented for this world: the flarefox. (Please note that all artwork I will be posting is strictly my own amateur work and not the professional artwork for the finished book.)

Flarefoxes

The flarefox is an intelligent, sapient fox with wings of fire. It is built for the most part like a regular red fox, but it is twice as large and has ears closer to those of a kit fox. 

Flarefoxes exercise a great deal of control over their fire wings. First, they can control their size. When they aren't in use, it keeps them as tiny flames up against its shoulders. When in flight, they spread out so that its wingspan is equal to the length of its body. The foxes can also control whether or not a touch of their wings sets something on fire, and they maintain control of any fire they set.

As a general rule, flarefoxes are peaceful creatures. They will go to great lengths and endure a lot to avoid a fight. However, when provoked, they can be deadly fighters, as the unicorns once learned to their detriment . . .

Before anyone asks, no, I didn't base these on kitsunes. I like kitsunes, but I didn't hear about them until a little while after I'd come up with these creatures. There are, however, several other creatures taken from myths (such as dragons, unicorns, and kelpies) in my story.


EDIT: I should add that I owe a friend of mine for the term "flarefox," as well as for the name of another creature that I may or may not reveal later. He is also an author, and those interested in magic and mystery novels can check out his book here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIWK6T4




No comments:

Post a Comment